Monday, November 12, 2012

Almond Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache


Hello Readers,
Today's entry is going to be about another baking victory of mine. This time it is the ultimate drool-inducer, chocolate cake. To add more oomph, an addition of chocolate ganache is poured on top accompanied by juicy strawberry and raspberries.

Ingredients:
125g Butter/ Margarine/ Vegetable oil (for a moist cake use oil)
90g Castor Sugar
2 large eggs
90g Dark Chocolate / cooking chocolate
110g Cake Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder (optional)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda (optional)
2Tbsp Chocolate Powder
1Tbsp Vanilla Extract
3Tbsp Chopped Almonds
125ml Fresh Milk/ Ideal milk

Ganache Topping:
90g Dark Cooking Chocolate
180ml  cup whipping cream
20g butter ( to add shine to the ganache
)
Method:
Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler.Leave it to cool but never refrigerate for it will thicken.
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and beat well.
Pour in melted dark chocolate.
Fold in flour in 3 batches and alternate with milk.
Bake in an oven at 160 degree Celsius for about 50 minutes. 
Remove and let it cool or refrigerate it before putting the topping.

Making the ganache:
Heat the whipping cream until it simmers
Pour on the dark chocolate in bowl and stir until it melts completely
Let it cool slightly and spread on to the cake evenly.
Serve.

My cake turned out fine and I refrigerated it first prior pouring the ganache because I wanted to serve on the next day. If you are serving it instantly, simply spread the ganache after the cake is cooled at room temperature.
Since I didn’t intend to make a moist cake, I opted for margarine. For those who desire a moist one, use vegetable or olive oil about ½ cup. And for a bittersweet taste choose dark chocolate and for a sweet result go with cooking chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate. I personally do not recommend Cadbury to be used for any chocolate cake be it for the ganache or as the main ingredient.
Speaking about ganache, you may use double cream or heavy cream or whipping cream or even condensed milk  as long as the fat content ranges from 35-40%. Ganache needs that! Thicker ganache, add chocolate, thinner ganache, add cream. It is encouraged to prepare the ganache prior the cake. In my case, I had a lot of ganache left , therefore, since I have strawberries and raspberries in the fridge, I used it as a dipping. Chocolate-dipped strawberries, Yummy-yumm 
Decorating the cake is up to your creativity and I admit I’m still a beginner. So if you are using fresh fruits or berries, coat it with sugar –glaze to give a glossy appearance. I forgot when I was making mine, such a loss .
Any questions, do mail me or comment or whatever.
Good luck trying!
 Renuka G



0 comments: